Diabetes Blog Week - Foods on Friday (Day 5)


Taking a cue from Adam Brown's recent post, write a post documenting what you eat in a day!  Feel free to add links to recommended recipes/shops/whatever.  Make it an ideal day or a come-as-you-are day – no judgments either way.  (Thank you, Katy of  Bigfoot Child Have Diabetes for this topic.)

I am beyond excited about this topic! I have wanted to do something like this forever, but was always slightly scared... People often think that because we have diabetes we have to be on a special diet, which is semi-true for some, but every diabetic is different. Food is a huge trial and error part of my world, especially when I have to take into consideration how my body is going to process a meal, how active I have been, and where my current numbers are. Thankfully, I have a full proof method for the majority of things I love to eat. Sadly no matter how hard I use my trial and error method, Chinese food will always be a mystery. 

Here is what a typical day of meals looks like for me. 

Breakfast:
Expectation: Two cups of black coffee and whole wheat toast with some Nutella and strawberries or a high fiber cereal. It all depends on how much time I have before work. 

Reality: I may snag a glazed donut or maybe even a cupcake that someone brought to work. That is the beauty of having an insulin pump. I will easy bolus that stuff all. Day. Long. 

Lunch: 
Expectation: I pack a salad or sandwich for lunch. I love a spinach salad with blackened Salmon, bell peppers, green onions, tomatoes, and sun flower seeds with a miso dressing. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. 

Reality: I get an ichat from someone asking if I brought my lunch and then might go grab food with them or snag a diet coke with them to get out of the office. 

Dinner:
Expectation/Reality: This is the one meal of the day that I don't splurge unless it is date night or we are both so tired and busy that I grab something quick. Dinner for us is a home cooked meal possibly vegetarian or maybe tri-tip and veggies. I usually stick to the plate method when making dinner. 

For the most part I eat as normal as the next person, thanks to the flexibility of my insulin pump. Though this isn't how I eat every day it is how somedays tend to go in my world. 






Comments

Popular Posts