Our Diabetes Group Welcomes a New Member


At our diabetes group last we welcomed a new member! There is something so pleasing when talking to someone who has just been diagnosed. It makes you look back to your beginnings in the world of diabetes. For me it almost feels like in Saved by the Bell when Zach and his friends would drift off into a daydream. Each person joins in and takes you into their story.

Of course we asked our new member as many questions as we could. He's been working with his primary care physician on controlling his diabetes, and has an appointment set up with an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks. We offered him plenty of advice on what to do for lows, how many carbs is ok to eat in a meal , and that if you want a cheeseburger enjoy a cheeseburger, just give yourself insulin for it. He brought his wife with him to the meeting and we also answered questions for her to help her understand Type 1 diabetes as well. We of course gave her our normal lecture of why it is different than Type 2 diabetes, a lot of people lump the two together, but they are very different. 

I am so happy to have found my diabetes group, there isn’t much in Fresno for Type 1 diabetics and it really is the most helpful resource in town for me. When I get out of a doctors appointment I share my A1c with the group. If I am having a bad diabetes day I talk about it with my group. I am constantly learning new things and also getting a better understanding about what my body is doing. If your in an area where there isn’t a lot offered for Type 1 diabetics. Find some other Type 1’s in the area and start your own it really is the best thing.

Comments

Popular Posts