Broken Pump


Every year the women on my hubs side of the fam go to Disneyland. It's one of my favorite things to do. No one is too cool for anything on this trip, we dress up, we kazoo, we become woo girls, you name it and it happens. I really look forward to it. This year was a little harder for me because it was the first time I was away from my babes overnight.

I had been packing and preparing everything all week for my trip and for my hubs first time having the babes all to himself. I had it all set ready to go so the morning that I was leaving I could cherish every last moment with my fam bam, except changing the cartridge on my pump. I did everything as I always had, and then an error message popped up. I was in a good place and didn't think much of it and decided to try it one more time, another error message appeared. The panic began to set in and tears started to fill my eyes, what was I going to do if I couldn't get my pump to work?

The hubs being in a logical state of mind said call the helpline and see what they can do. Then he asked if I had a back up plan for things like this. Of course I do! Uh, wait no...I did...I had everything but my basal insulin if I had to go back to the medieval times of syringes. Tears started forming again, and he just reminded me to breathe and call the company, so I did.

The pump was broken and the new one wouldn't make it to Fresno until the following day. Tandem offered to ship it to my hotel, but I just couldn't risk it not making it to me. When I got off the phone (again crying) my hubs told me to call my doctor, so I did that next. Thankfully they had samples of both the insulins I would need during my trip. I had never used a pen system before, they walked me through it and made sure I knew how much basal insulin I would need. When I got back to the house I had about 45min with my babes and made every second I could count.

The trip went well. I did have some chaotic highs and one chaotic low, but I did it and the trip was still everything I imagined it could have been and more. My pump was at my house when I came home and I was lucky enough to be back to my normal diabetic self by the end of the night. Just remember to always have a back up plan that isn't expired in your fridge in case you end up in the mess I got myself into.

Here are some photos from life without my pump.


I had a pretty severe low while on Space Mountain. Thankfully my sister in law got me the perfect treat to cure it. Frozen apple juice!


I definitely didn't have perfect numbers being on vacation and getting used to using pens, but at least I had some good moments.


I was so unbelievably happy to be back on my pump when I got home. You have no idea.


My numbers are back in order and now I know what to do the next time something like this happens to me.


Comments

Popular Posts