"Apple My Pretty"?


It has been a while since I had a severe low blood sugar. You know, the kind of low that makes you sweaty, shaky, and think you can eat the entire refrigerator. Well, the other night, I had one. But I was proud of myself, because I didn’t immediately run to the refrigerator and inhale everything in sight. Instead, I reached over and woke up the hubs and asked if he could bring me some juice. In his sleep he went down the hall and came back with a juice box and crawled back into bed. I drank it down as quickly as I could and waited patiently for it to kick in.

As I was waiting for my juice to kick in, this little voice in the back of my head started to whisper “you can get more sugary treats if you want”. A slight grin flashed across my face and I crawled out of bed as quietly as a child trying to sneak a peak at Santa putting presents under the tree and went to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and there they were, apple slices and caramel dip. I grabbed the goods, sat on the kitchen floor, dipped the first apple slice and entered heaven. I don’t know what it is about low blood sugar that makes food taste so good, but every bite is euphoric.

My shaking and sweating began to disappear as I finished the apple. I restrained the urge to continue eating and snuck back down the hallway to my bed. While crawling as carefully and quietly as I could back into bed I debated on checking my numbers again, but my bed was calling me and I decided the high morning numbers would be worth it in the end.  For those of you who are reading this and judging my decision, let me just stop you there, I knew it was a bad choice, but this isn’t an everyday occurrence and sometimes being naughty is just plain worth it.

Needless to say, I suffered the consequences the next day. I woke up with high numbers, had to correct and skip my breakfast until things were back under control. Of course, I felt tired and groggy, and blah blah blah. But at least I had everything under control later that day and well relearned a valuable lesson. Remember the rule of 15 when you go low take 15 grams of carbs, wait 15 minutes, check your sugars and repeat if needed. But if you decide to be naughty like me, don’t beat yourself up for it. 

Comments

  1. This is the first time I am visiting your blog. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts