Insulin Pump Shopping


I received a call from Medtronic the other day that my pump is no longer under warranty and that I can get a new pump with a 6 year warranty. The funny thing is, this should have felt like exciting news, but all I could think about was, "Do I want a new Medtronic pump"? Those of you who have read this blog know that I am team Medtronic all the way. However, when I broke away from Medtronic for another CGM and from there I learned that there are other companies out there that are just as good. So, now I have the lingering question of do I pump shop or stick to the original?

There are pros and cons to the topic of switching pumps. Here are a few of the ones off the list I have created:

  • Pro, there are a lot of other pumps out there that have different bells and whistles, such as: 
    • Animas, it's waterproof, and works with the Dexcom G4 which I have and love. 
    • Tandem TSlim, which basically just looks sexy.
    • Omnipod, it's tubeless, waterproof, works with Dexcom, and built in glucose meter!
  • Con, I would have to get all new equipment and even though (thankfully) I have great insurance and my out of pocket is at its max, the cost worries me. 
  • Pro, change can be a good thing. 
  • Con, I'm terrified of change.
There also is the fact that I am a loyalist, always have been always will be to an extent. I feel like because Medtronic was there from the very beginning of my diagnosis and because of that I feel like  I owe them something and I hate the idea of abandoning them. But, the other side of my brain keeps telling me that's not a good enough reason to justify your diabetes care. I don't know, I might just be a little crazy, help me with this decision. If you have more pros and cons about any of these pumps, the idea of switching pump companies, please let me know because I am in research mode right now and feedback honestly helps a ton! 

Comments

Popular Posts