My Diabetes Week


This week is going to be a great one. I have a ton of stuff going on. In the diabetes world I will be participating in my first diabetes walk and celebrating my one year blogiversary, in my personal life I will be running my second 5K ever, and in my nerdy life I will be counting down the days to the new Star Trek movie (I know, my secret is out I am a total nerd). I love weeks like this, when I have a lot going on and a lot to look forward to.

I am doing a diabetes walk on Saturday with my diabetes group. As a group we have raised a little over $2000, which is $1000 more than we were anticipating on raising to help find a cure for diabetes. I am so excited to participate in something like this. Type 1 diabetics are the minority in the diabetes world and there is something encouraging about participating in something that really celebrates the fact that you are not alone. I cannot tell you how happy I am to be apart of this.

Then there is my blog. This is something I started under a year ago because I was bored with life. I wanted to share my story and help educate people about my disease and it turned into a passion and a little bit of an obsession. I have to say, the most exciting part of this blog was the positive feedback I was getting from people who I didn’t know. Seeing that people from all over the world were looking at my blog and happy that someone was writing about something they go through each and everday of their lives. I am so excited that I started this blog adventure and hope that it continues to grow more as the years continue.

After my diabetes walk on Saturday, I am going to go home and get some sleep because I will be waking up the following day for my second 5K of the weekend. The California Classic is here in Fresno and my mom, sister, and I are going to continue my New Year phrase get skinny 13 by enjoying a 5K together. I never thought I would run for fun. I was that kid in PE that would fake cramps on days when we had to run the mile just to get out of running (it never worked) but hey I at least tried and that was all that mattered. So, for this being my second run of the year I am excited and happy to see my body going back to where it used to be.

And lastly, on my nerd list, I am so excited for the new Star Trek. I know this has nothing to do with diabetes, but I figure I could write a blurb about it and avoid the awkward looks I get when I ask if any one else in my life is as excited as I am. I grew up with a dad who watched anything and everything sci-fi, we even had a Star Wars Christmas album with songs like what do you get a Wooki for Christmas (I know, not the same as Star Trek, just using it as an example). So there you have it my nerdy confession.

It’s going to be a good week with a lack of sleep, but I am so excited about it and felt the need to share.

Comments

  1. I'm thankful you have decided to become an educator about this condition, it's inspiring! My sister has been living with diabetes for almost her whole life and I been helping her administer her diabetic medical supplies when she was a kid, I'm ten years older than her. Last month I participated in a 5K in her honor and it was wonderful! We both crossed that finish line together holding each other's hands, it was a Kodak moment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts