Monday, May 13, 2013

My Diabetes Week


This week is going to be a great one. I have a ton of stuff going on. In the diabetes world I will be participating in my first diabetes walk and celebrating my one year blogiversary, in my personal life I will be running my second 5K ever, and in my nerdy life I will be counting down the days to the new Star Trek movie (I know, my secret is out I am a total nerd). I love weeks like this, when I have a lot going on and a lot to look forward to.

I am doing a diabetes walk on Saturday with my diabetes group. As a group we have raised a little over $2000, which is $1000 more than we were anticipating on raising to help find a cure for diabetes. I am so excited to participate in something like this. Type 1 diabetics are the minority in the diabetes world and there is something encouraging about participating in something that really celebrates the fact that you are not alone. I cannot tell you how happy I am to be apart of this.

Then there is my blog. This is something I started under a year ago because I was bored with life. I wanted to share my story and help educate people about my disease and it turned into a passion and a little bit of an obsession. I have to say, the most exciting part of this blog was the positive feedback I was getting from people who I didn’t know. Seeing that people from all over the world were looking at my blog and happy that someone was writing about something they go through each and everday of their lives. I am so excited that I started this blog adventure and hope that it continues to grow more as the years continue.

After my diabetes walk on Saturday, I am going to go home and get some sleep because I will be waking up the following day for my second 5K of the weekend. The California Classic is here in Fresno and my mom, sister, and I are going to continue my New Year phrase get skinny 13 by enjoying a 5K together. I never thought I would run for fun. I was that kid in PE that would fake cramps on days when we had to run the mile just to get out of running (it never worked) but hey I at least tried and that was all that mattered. So, for this being my second run of the year I am excited and happy to see my body going back to where it used to be.

And lastly, on my nerd list, I am so excited for the new Star Trek. I know this has nothing to do with diabetes, but I figure I could write a blurb about it and avoid the awkward looks I get when I ask if any one else in my life is as excited as I am. I grew up with a dad who watched anything and everything sci-fi, we even had a Star Wars Christmas album with songs like what do you get a Wooki for Christmas (I know, not the same as Star Trek, just using it as an example). So there you have it my nerdy confession.

It’s going to be a good week with a lack of sleep, but I am so excited about it and felt the need to share.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful you have decided to become an educator about this condition, it's inspiring! My sister has been living with diabetes for almost her whole life and I been helping her administer her diabetic medical supplies when she was a kid, I'm ten years older than her. Last month I participated in a 5K in her honor and it was wonderful! We both crossed that finish line together holding each other's hands, it was a Kodak moment!

    ReplyDelete