Just one of those good days


I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m having an active day I almost feel like I don’t have diabetes anymore. I was in Disneyland this last weekend and as long as I kept eating small low carb meals/snacks my blood sugars stayed completely normal. There were a couple of snacks that I didn’t even bother giving myself insulin for and my blood sugars stayed steady throughout our trip. Of course, it didn’t work as well for meals, but definitely worked for snacks.

Usually while in Disneyland I pack every diabetic necessity I can think of in a large back pack and carry it with me all day. I chose on this trip to be brave and stick to an over the shoulder purse with only a limited amount of items I would need. Not only was my back a happy camper at the end of the day, but also I didn’t have to deal with taking it on off for rides and when entering the parks.  It was the best thing I could have done while in the park. 

The only thing that really made me feel like a diabetic was my getting super excited that Disneyland now has sharp containers in the bathroom! I took a picture, Facebooked it, wanted to Instagram it, jumped for joy, you name it I did it. I mean I am sure some people thought I was a freak show or a drug addict, but either way I knew what it was for and felt represented at the park.  

It was a great trip; and a great weekend. I didn’t really have to think about my diabetes twice. Maybe after having it for 7 years I’m finally getting into a great rhythm with it. I don’t know, but it didn’t feel like a hassle, which left me pleasantly surprised. So, if you are having one of those I hate diabetes weeks, just remember there is always going to be good day down the line. 

Comments

  1. I too get a little giddy when I see a sharps container in public! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago at 16. And after that time I'm starting to act like a 2 year old every time I need to take a shot, I'm so tired of it. I cannot wait to get on the pump it sounds so much easier!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts