The Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine


I know I am behind the times on this topic, but recently I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the Type 1 diabetes vaccine and now it has my attention. I mean the thought of a single injection curing a disease I have had for the last 8 years blows my mind.

How the vaccine works is actually the opposite of how normal vaccines work. Instead of turning on specific immune responses it’s turning them off.  By turning off the immune response, the immune system would no longer attack insulin producing cells causing the body to produce insulin. The vaccine was successful in diabetic mice and now human testing has officially begun. So far things seem to be working. Of course like all medical testing we still have a while until the final conclusion can be made.

Everyone ounce of me hopes that this vaccine will be a success and become an everyday vaccine like the flu shot. Being able to stop this disease from affecting the lives of people would be a dream. Think about it no more worrying about going blind, suffering from nerve pain, or fear of losing limbs. That is something that I am definitely looking forward to. 

Comments

Popular Posts