Back to Basics - Blood Sugar Logging


I know what you're thinking, this is old, ancient even, but I decided to head back to the olden times to see if it will make much of a difference in my diabetes management. Remember taking better care of my diabetes management was a goal for January and 2015 and like all those people who sign up for gym memberships in the beginning of the year, I am reverting back to the olden age of logging. 

I also know what some of you may be thinking, "isn't there an app for that" and the answer is yes, several actually. But for me there is something about physically writing down everything down that works for me. It could be that the apps sometimes make me feel guilty or ashamed on a bad day, I don't know, but as of right now this is working great. 

So far, I am writing everything down that I can. When I wake up, what my numbers were, what I'm having for breakfast, the calories, proteins, carbs, and fats, everything. I'm writing down my workouts and their durations. I write my numbers before and after a workout and then what they are an hour after. I am hoping I will be able to see a trend of what exercise does to my blood sugars. 

Another huge plus is it is also helping me really see how many calories a day I am actually taking in and where those calories are coming from. For example, the other day I woke up, had toast and an americano for breakfast, for lunch I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and two angel finger cookies, and for dinner I had corn flake chicken, roasted red potatoes, and veggies. When I looked at that I thought to myself, where are all my veggies? One of my goals has been to increase my veggie intake and I literally only had veggies with one meal. It helped me to plan for the next day to amp up the veggies. 

For now, I like this ancient art of writing everything down. But we will see how long it lasts before I either switch to an app or give up completely. My hope is that it can stick and that I can take my notepad to my doctors appointments and have them applaud my OCD. Here to hoping! 



Comments

Popular Posts