After 10 years I did it!


This is definitely a year of reflection. It has been 10 years since I graduated high school, moved away from home, and well was diagnosed with diabetes. It's funny to look at where I am now, I graduated college with a BA in Communications, got married, started to share my story of what life has been like after diabetes, and now I get to share with you....(no not pregnant...yet)...drum roll please...the best A1c I have had ever!

I couldn't believe it when I looked at my chart and saw the number 6.7 on the screen. My doctor probably thought I was crazy because I jumped up, pointed, and yelled out loud "THAT'S MY A1C"?! I think the thing I love about my doctor is that she has small reactions. Her response to my huge reaction was "yes, you dropped by an entire percent"! in her small sweet voice. We both had a moment of celebration as I told her this was my best A1c ever in my history of diabetes and how excited I was. She continued in her small reaction to tell me how proud she was and that this was a great number because it wasn't caused by a large number of low blood sugars. You know all that doctor stuff. 

I appreciate how patient my doctor is with me because, well, I am always all over my chart. I ask her about every lab that was done, what is considered good or bad, and if there is a bad how can I improve it. I will tell her things I am interested in trying (workouts, diets, vitamins etc.) and ask her thoughts on it. I am one step away from showing her pictures on my phone and asking her her thoughts. She must think I'm crazy, but at the same time, there is no way she could ever be bored with me. 

We continued to go through my lab work and noticed that all of my numbers were awesome. There are only two things that my body refuses to be good at and those are making insulin and storing vitamin D. She then increased the amount of vitamin D I am currently taking and we are now hoping to see a larger number next time I go in. She always wants to know when I plan on getting pregnant and we frequently go over the protocol for that scenario. I had to fess up to her that I was a little late (2 weeks) but that I had taken 2 tests and gotten two negatives, she then made me go get a blood test just in case. Turned out that I wasn't pregnant and I ended up starting my period the very next day. But hey, better safe then sorry, especially when you have diabetes. 

It only took me 10 years to get my numbers below 7% (can you hear the sarcasm). But I don't care how long it took to get there, I just care that I got there. 10 years feels like a lifetime when living with diabetes. It controls everything I do and after 10 years I decided to surrender to it. Once I chose to surrender to my diabetes, the more life I got to enjoy. I know that sounds strange, but fighting diabetes caused more harm than good and took away more time from the things I love. It was when I decided to check my numbers more often, learn exactly how much insulin I needed for certain meals, and how to deliver it accordingly to what I eat is when I got my life back. I no longer felt like crap and now I have an amazing number as a result. If you are still in your struggle keep working through it and learn how to surrender to your diabetes, because if you keep fighting against it, you will only end up hurting yourself. 

Comments

  1. Congrats! You give me so much hope because I have had diabetes for 9 years but am only a junior in high school so doing college and all the other adult stuff with diabetes is pretty daunting

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts