Still Shopping


When I was younger and would visit my grandma, she always would end our time with a trip to the toy store. My sister and I were each allowed to pick out a toy as long as it was $5. I remember going through every aisle of the store over and over again hoping to find the best toy for the best deal. Our trips usually ended up being what felt like hours long because I was so indecisive and would struggle to find exactly what I wanted. I still struggle with this today.

I decided to start looking for a new insulin pump a few weeks ago. I discussed the pumps I was thinking about getting with my doctor, she was a great help in narrowing my options down to two pumps, the Animas Vibe and the Tandem T-Slim. I've been working with the two reps for each company who have been very helpful. But I keep having flashbacks to that little girl in the toy store. I can't just choose one over the other. It's a huge deal, this is something that I will need to live with for the next 5-6 years at least and I want to make sure that I am happy with whatever one I end up choosing.

The funny thing is that one pump is so similar to my Minimed that it feels like the right choice, but then there is this little voice in my head that makes me question the familiarity. Then, there are other things that shouldn't matter in my choice making process, but are. For example one company doesn't refurbish it's broken pumps and all I can think about it all the trash being created by their pump graveyard. I feel like Marshall from How I Met Your Mother when he watches the documentary about garbage island, it just drives me crazy! Then there are the reps. When I first met with the Medtronic rep, the rep was the biggest reason I chose their pump, she was friendly, noncompetitive, and just informational. I felt like I was out to get coffee with a girlfriend. I hate that how I feel about the rep determines how I feel about the company, and I would hate to misjudge the quality of a product because I didn't click with the sales rep.

I wish that I wasn't still that little girl in the toy store and that I could just make the right decision quickly. I meet with the other rep tomorrow to check out the other pump option. Fingers crossed that I can make a decision after that meeting.

Comments

Popular Posts